Taste Testing: A Salt Experience at Home

/ Tuesday, November 8, 2011 /
Our inspiration for this blog: Salt Tasting Room - Vancouver, Canada

A couple of years ago, when I living in Vancouver, Canada, I was introduced to a fun restaurant called the Salt Tasting Room. This establishment’s whole concept centers around combinations of artisan cheese, cured meats, and drinks. The idea is simple in that guests assemble a tasting plate from the daily selections (the menu items change constantly) and you can either make your own pairings or rely on the expert opinion of your server.

Salt is located in the heart of Gastown’s historic Blood Alley, and yes, the front door to the place is actually off of an alley. Inside is a restoration gem, full of original brick, wooden beams and columns, and concrete floors. The back wall is completely covered with a chalkboard, outlining the daily selections to choose from and guests sit either at tables or benches lining the walls.

I went in skeptical, wondering how essentially tapas (in my mind) would make a meal but I was pleasantly surprised. I guess it adheres more European concept to eating in that you eat each pairing in stages so you have time to linger over your food and enjoy it. After a few pairings, I was actually full. Even more so, I had tasted different foods that I might not have otherwise thought of trying before, and thus, I was hooked on the concept

I had mentioned this restaurant to Aric in passing a couple of weeks ago and decided that it would make for a fun date night. So I ventured to the local grocery store and collected the assortment of goodies.

When it came time to actually arranging the tasting selections, Aric and I were both secretly worried that it wouldn’t be enough food. Let me me warn you now though that looks are deceiving when it comes to this meal!! By the end of the second of the third pairings, we were both stuffed but wanted to try the third one so badly, we stuffed it in. I think the key for us next time is taking each round a bit slower and spacing it out more, like what you get at Salt.

Whichever way you decide to do this fun culinary taste test, have fun with your pairings and try new products or pairings you wouldn’t think would normally go together. You might be pleasantly surprised!

Menu One: Camembert, Apricot Compote with Cashews, Blueberries




Menu Two: Bosc Pears, Honey Roasted Turkey Breast (for Aric), Drunken Goat Cheese



Menu Three: Bleu d’Auvergne cheese, Italian Roast Beef with walnuts (for Aric), Honey (for me), Gala apples

2 comments:

Shauna on: November 11, 2011 at 12:48 PM said...

This is an awesome idea! I think I have to try out the Salt Tasting Room now. :)

Dawn & Aric on: November 11, 2011 at 1:46 PM said...

It is worth the trip to Gastown! Be prepared to be inspired by all the choices!

Post a Comment